Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which word is more commonly used to refer to 't-shirt', remera or camiseta?

share|improve this question
As the vocabulary for things like clothing and food vary greatly by region, it would be helpful if you could tell us which region's vocabulary interests you (if you know). –  Flimzy Jul 3 '13 at 19:22
add comment

3 Answers

Clothing (and meal) is quite region specific. In Argentina "remera" is widely preferred ("camiseta" is used only for underwear, or for sporting clothes that identify a team).

Here is a list by country.

share|improve this answer

When I was going to buy a "camiseta" in Argentina, turned out the word means pyjamas there. What I wanted was indeed a "remera". –  Jonik Jul 4 '13 at 7:03

But +1 especially for including the link, showing there are many more words for T-shirt than just "camiseta" and "remera". –  Jonik Jul 4 '13 at 7:05
add comment

In Mexico (at least the regions where I have been), the preferred word for a T-shirt is playera.

add comment

In Spain, you should definitely use camiseta, other options are very uncommon...

Also, polo for polo shirt –  MikMik Jul 4 '13 at 7:29

In Argentina, "polo shirt" is "chomba" :-) –  leonbloy Jul 4 '13 at 11:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.