Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the meaning of burris?

RAE and Google are no help. It seems to be a very slang term, and from context it relates to humor or sarcasm. It may be a Mexican term.

share|improve this question
Could it be an altered form of "burro"? –  MikMik Jun 27 '13 at 7:56

Could you please post the context in which you saw the word? It's not an spanish word, as you say, might be slang and we need context. –  sanchy Jun 27 '13 at 16:56

@sanchy: I would love to, but I've heard the word a few times in various contexts, and don't have any of them handy to quote, so I would only base it off of my imperfect memory. –  Flimzy Jun 27 '13 at 20:15

@Flimzy I'd say Alfredo's answer is probably correct. Hope you found the help you needed! –  sanchy Jun 28 '13 at 10:58
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's like a colloquial diminutive form of burro used in Mexico. It is used primarily to doesn't sound too harsh and is mainly used by women. Examples:

menso -> mensis

tonto -> tontis

burro -> burris

share|improve this answer

So it's a less-rude/playful way of calling someone an "ass"? –  Flimzy Jun 27 '13 at 18:36

@Filmzy yes, that's it. –  Alfredo Osorio Jun 27 '13 at 18:57

@Flimzy I think "burris" is more a "dummy" than an "ass" –  Newbie Jun 27 '13 at 19:58

@Newbie: So a playful "dumbass" :) –  Flimzy Jun 27 '13 at 21:18

@Flimzy hahaha exactly! :) –  Newbie Jun 27 '13 at 21:33
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.