Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any difference between "estar inquieto" y "estar preocupado"?

Are they referring to different degrees of worry?

Update:
(Could you please verify the differences in meaning between the sentences below?)

1. ¿Estás inquieto por la mañana?
  2. ¿Estás preocupado por la mañana?
share|improve this question

I think most literal translation of "inquieto" would be "unsettled". OTOH, "preocupado" means just "worried" –  vartec Jun 21 '13 at 22:44

Cadenza, I understand you're having trouble understanding this. However I don't know why. You can imply that someone is "inquieto" because he is very worried("preocupado"). But you can't compare "inquieto" and "preocupado" because they're different things. Being "inquieto" does not necessarily means someone is worried("preocupado"). –  sanchy Jun 25 '13 at 20:58

Ps: "por LA mañana" –  sanchy Jun 25 '13 at 21:00

Hi Sanchy, "You can imply that someone is "inquieto" because he is very worried("preocupado")", do you mean that here "inquieto" means as someone being too worried, he anxiously wants to do something? The latter part is what "inquieto" meaning? –  Cadenza Jun 26 '13 at 15:51

Does "inquieto" similar to "eager"? –  Cadenza Jun 26 '13 at 15:55

3 Answers 3

up vote 0 down vote accepted

It's quite hard to verify the differences in meaning between the sentences above because "estar inquieto/preocupado" shouldn't be a constant in someone's life . But I'm gonna try to use two other sentences as an example.

"Estoy inquieto por el examen"
"Estoy preocupado por el examen" 

In the first one you are anxious about your test, it wasn't really hard/you now you knew the answers for most of the questions/etc. so you are not worried to fail, however you don't know for sure and you would like to now your grade as soon as possible.

On the second one, you are definitly worried. Either the test was really hard o your final note depens on it.

"Inquieto" however could mean more things like "misbehaving" as the others have answered

share|improve this answer

Thank you so much Newbie! –  Cadenza Jun 27 '13 at 15:35

you're welcome, I'm glad I could help –  Newbie Jun 27 '13 at 16:10

Yes there is.

Being "preocupado" is being worried.

Being "inquieto" has more to do with being anxious due to worryness

You can also use "inquieto" for someone who's always doing things, like a kid with a lot of energy. "That kid is 'inquieto'" "Ese niño es inquieto"

So can I say "inquieto" has a "deeper" worry than "preocupado"? –  Cadenza Jun 24 '13 at 15:25
They're different things. Being 'inquieto' might be a consequence of being too worried. You can't compare 'inquieto' and 'preocupado'. –  sanchy Jun 24 '13 at 18:26
Hi, pls see my update. –  Cadenza Jun 25 '13 at 17:32

Yes, there is a difference. In addition to what sanchy said, inquieto can also mean curious. For example, to have an inquietud means to have a desire about something therefore to want to make a move and not be quiet and to be inquieto means to be in a state of desire to do something about what's in your mind or heart. In that sense is similar to preocupado but you're not worried.

I am confused. So does ¨inquieto¨ have the sense of worry? –  Cadenza Jun 24 '13 at 15:24
No. Inquieto does not imply worry. It's more like a yearning that causes you to want to take action. –  Adam Mendoza Jun 24 '13 at 19:10

Hi, pls see my update. –  Cadenza Jun 25 '13 at 17:32

Cadenza, in your update, although sentence 1 is grammatically correct, as a native speaker, I would not use it. Sentence 1 is too abstract and doesn't make sense in my mind. I could, however, say something like; "Tengo una inquetud que quiero explorar en el futuro" or, "Tengo inquietues que quisiera explorar en el futuro". Sentence 2 is correct and is something that someone would say. Hope this helps. As you know, languages have unique nuances. Of course sometimes those nuances do not necessarily stand the test of time across centuries, just like words don't either. –  Adam Mendoza Jun 25 '13 at 18:08

Hi Adam, I looked up in "wordreference" and noticed there is an explantion for "inquieto" as : inquieto - adj - (agitado) worried, uneasy, troubled adj. It says "worried", no? –  Cadenza Jun 26 '13 at 15:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.