Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I was in the Dominican, I heard men referred to as 'tigres'... I took it to mean that they were flirts, but I never really got a good definition. Can anyone explain how calling a man a tigre would translate into English?.. in Dominican slang or otherwise!

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

The basic connotation of Tigre is the English version of a 'bad boy', 'bad ass', 'wise guy' or 'shark'.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I lived in the Dominican Republic for a couple of years and I heard it used in a few different instances (used both in negative and jokingly positive ways):

Troublemakers in the street (members of gangs, etc.)

Prankster

Scoundrel

Bold or daring person (men mostly)

It is also occasionally used with women (tigra), but not as often. Hope that helps!

add comment

In Spain I'd say it has a positve connotation. Calling someone 'tigre' is a friendly and casual way of praising someone:

Imagine two friend randomly meeting on the street:

• ¿Qué pasa tigre?¿Qué haces tú por aquí?

and/or maybe cheering him up:

Imagine a soccer player that has spent the whole match sitted on the bench, now his coach picks him to play the last 10 minutes:

• ¡Vamos tigre! ¡A por ellos!
add comment

From a Dominican slang site

"TIGUERE or Tigre (Tee-gur-eh): n. noun., 1. Literal meaning “tiger” 2. A street corner hustler 3. A street smart character, smart-ass"

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.