Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A native speaker in Colombia showed me a flower and told me it was called a colegiala, but the only translation I can find is schoolgirl or female college student. Also, I haven't been able to find any reference to this type of flower online. Can anyone verify that colegiala is also a flower?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It seems it's actually the name of a flower, although to be honest, this is the first time I heard about it (not that I'm particularly good at plants). It must be a local name.

I could find this link with a picture of the flower attached to it:

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?t=299647

Picture of the _Colegiala_ in case the link goes bad

If someone could identify the plant and find its scientific name, we could perhaps contribute a myriad of other local names.

UPDATE: A bit of further research gave me the names Bignonia Rosea and Fridericia chica, but as I said, I'm not exactly an authority in plants. Someone should verify that the plant above is actually the species mentioned.

share|improve this answer
add comment

You're right, COLEGIALA is normally used to make reference to girl who's in Junior or High School(bachillerato), overall when she is wearing her uniform. I have to say it's a very formal way to say it. You could hear from someone to say: ALLÍ VA LA COLEGIALA CAMINANDO CON SUS LIBROS HACIA EL LICEO. It happens that in different LAT countries you can find the same plant but with a different name, usually this happens with flower-plants, so at the end, that name, colegiala, must be the popular name for that plant in Colombia, it's probable in other countries nearby, you could find the same plant but with a different local name! BTW the most common expression for COLEGIALA is: LA ESTUDIANTE.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.