Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm translating a text and have a doubt. It says:

Please add a copy of [some specific papers] (if any).

I could mix up the sentence and say: "Si existen [...], añade una copia, por favor." But it sounds strange, and anyway I want a translation with the parenthesis.

I would say: "(si hay)", but it sound to informal. Other options I think about are: "(si algunos)", "(si existen)". And Google Translate gives me the option: "(en su caso)"

Are those examples I gave correct? Are there better ways to translate it?

share|improve this question

6 Answers 6

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Por favor añadir copia de [algun documento específico] (Si hubiera).

share|improve this answer

estrictamente hablando, ¿no sería más correcto el uso del futuro subjuntivo? (si hubiere) –  kelmer Jun 22 '13 at 12:42

I don't know the context, but maybe you could use "si procede" or "cuando proceda", which translates into "if applicable"/"if appropriate":

Por favor, añade una copia de [los papeles], si procede.

Thanks! And can this be put between brackets, or would that make it look strange? –  Sironsse Jun 5 '13 at 6:56

To clarify some information, parenthesis are the correct symbol to use. –  Efren Jun 18 '13 at 23:15

You could use si los/las hay or si acaso existen.

¿Cuáles son los beneficios, si los hay?

¿Cuáles son los beneficios, si acaso existen?

Note that I'm not sure these expression could be used in their respective singular forms (si lo/la hay and si acaso existe).

Thanks! I need the plural form, so it must be fine. But can I put those sentences between brackets, or would that make it look strange? –  Sironsse Jun 5 '13 at 6:59

Putting brackets around it would be perfectly fine. –  Alexis Pigeon Jun 5 '13 at 7:54

It depends of text's context as usual, but I'd say, you could translate this one as:

• Si aplica
  • En caso de tenerlos (regards the documents)

Welcome to Spanish.SE! –  Flimzy Jun 4 '13 at 17:19

hey many thanks bro! –  Douglas Javier Jun 4 '13 at 18:48

@DouglasJavier Thanks for the suggestions. But can those sentences be put between brackets, or would that make it look strange? –  Sironsse Jun 5 '13 at 7:00
"Si aplica" is an anglicism, that's not correct Spanish. You'd say "si corresponde". –  leonbloy Jun 6 '13 at 1:07

There're already good answers, but I'll go with my own:

Por favor añade, de haberlos, una copia de los documentos.

There are already good answers and I don't know which I have to choose! But thanks for your answer. But I ask the same question as above, can 'de haberlos' be put between brackets? –  Sironsse Jun 5 '13 at 7:03

@Silke: yes, I think it could be put between brackets. I think it's a bit more natural between commas, but you could use brackets, it won't look too strange at all in my opinion... –  MikO Jun 5 '13 at 11:08

Por favor incluye una copia de [papers] (Si le corresponde)

This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. –  darkajax Jul 25 '13 at 14:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.