Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say "These baskets are made by hand". Is it correct to say:

Esas cestas son hechas de mano.

share|improve this question
"Esas cestas son hechas a mano?" also "son artesanales?". –  belisarius May 20 '13 at 0:29
"baskets" are also "canastas" –  belisarius May 20 '13 at 0:47

Thank you very much. If you want you can make this into an answer and i'll vote it up and accept it. –  Ovi May 20 '13 at 1:41

It appears you are translating a statement, and not a question (as the question form in English would be "Are these baskets made by hand?"). If I was incorrect to remove the question marks, please feel free to reverse my edit. –  Flimzy May 21 '13 at 4:18

It was meant to be a statement, sorry for the confusion –  Ovi May 22 '13 at 1:53

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The correct translation would be: "Estas cestas son hechas a mano"

And "Estas cestas están hechas a mano" would also be perfectly valid.

The masculine "Estos cestos" is also correct.

Canastas is not often used, at least in Spain, unless you are talking about basketball...

share|improve this answer
In Murcia, Spain, I came across canasta frequently referring to a type of flexible container somewhere between a bucket and a basket (now plastic but presumably once basketwork) used frequently by builders, fishermen, and so forth as a general purpose container. I don't know if this use of the word - which obviously comes from the "basket" meaning - is common elsewhere. As there is, to my knowledge, no word for this object in English, my family now uses the word canasta in English too... –  caesarsgrunt May 23 '13 at 18:55

I would definitely say "Esas cestas están hechas a mano", instead of "son". It sounds much more natural to me.

But wouldn't estan imply more of a temporary condition? –  Ovi May 25 '13 at 18:53

"Hechas de mano" would mean something like "handen", as "hechas de madera" would mean "wooden". Usually, "las cestas están hechas de mimbre" (wicker).

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.