Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a few questions regarding the use of some verbs after time constructions like "tan pronto como" or "en cuanto."

If I am saying....

Los domingos por la mañana vemos televisión. Tan pronto como __ , prendemos el televisor para ver nuestro programa favorito.

And I need to fill the blank with levantarse... would it be nos levantamos? I am confused because the action happens every sunday but is not past tense.

Another:

Algunos me dicen terco, pero yo siempre sigo luchando hasta que __ mis metas.

If I need to fill it with lograr do I place logro meaning "until I achieve" or the subjunctive? This also happens multiple times but it seems like the subjunctive could fit.

Last one:

Todos los veranos, Martin Y Felícita visitan a sus abuelos en México. Cuando ellos __ en la casa de sus abuelos.

I have to fill it with llegar. It seems like the present is the way to go (llegan) but it (again) happens multiple times.

Which form do I fill the blanks with?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Tan pronto como NOS LEVANTAMOS, prendemos ... 'nosotros nos levantamos' may refer either the past or present, this case is the present.

2 use the subjunctive, 'hasta que logre' mis metas.

3 use llegan, it refers to the present

share|improve this answer

In the second one, subjunctive is not right. Presente de indicativo, as DeStrangis said. –  machlas May 10 '13 at 9:17

Tan pronto como nos levantamos, prendemos el televisor

It's present tense, actually. And it's the same as in English ("as soon as we get up, we turn on..."), I think

Algunos me dicen terco, pero yo siempre sigo luchando hasta que logro mis metas

It's, again, present, your are not referring to an uncertain future event, but to a "present" certain event. Actually a series of events, but that series as a whole is in the present: it's not in the past nor in the future.

It would be different if you'd say:

yo seguiré luchando hasta que logre mi meta

Here the event is in the future, and is uncertain: subjunctive.

Todos los veranos, Martin Y Felícita visitan a sus abuelos en México. Cuando ellos llegan a la casa de sus abuelos.......

(it's "llegan a", not "llegan en"). The same as the previous ones: present. It refers to a repeated series of events that occurs, as a whole, in the present.

Although there may be several options, you can just make the person and tense concordant with those of the previous verb, thus:

Los domingos por la mañana vemos televisión.

This is indicative present, first person plural. So we use indicative present, first person plural for levantarse:

en cuanto nos levantamos...

Another:

yo siempre sigo luchando...

This is present, first person singular, so

hasta que consigo

Whis is also present, first person singular.

Another:

Martin Y Felícita visitan...

present, third person plural

Cuando llegan a...

Again present, third person plural

See? it's easy!

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.