Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How to speak the sentence:

The son of the sun is me.

in Spanish? I thought about:

El hijo del sol es yo.

at first, but Google Translation translates the sentence into

El hijo del sol soy yo.

I think the subject of this sentence is "El hijo del sol", therefore es should be used.

Which one is correct, and why?

share|improve this question

Related question –  c.p. Aug 2 '13 at 14:01
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The correct translation is the one of Google Translate: El hijo del Sol soy yo.

Ok, the problem here is the subject and direct complement, they are inverted, the subject is "yo" and the complement is "el hijo del Sol", as you can see in: Componentes funcionales de las oraciones, there are times when the complement is switched to the beginning of the sentence, for this case you could also say: Yo soy el hijo del Sol, or making a swap with "lo": Yo lo soy.

Just for a last word, the word Sol is considered as a proper name when you are talking of the Sun like a star and not about the sunlight: As seen here and here. So it has to be written with capital letter.

Greetings

share|improve this answer
add comment

El hijo del Sol soy yo...

(Él) es =he's | (Yo) soy = I'm

I'm Spanish.

¡Bienvenido! Por favor, recuerda formatear bien lo que escribas y mirar la previsualización antes de enviar una pregunta o respuesta. Al verse las tres frases todas en una misma línea y sin signos de puntuación, quien no sepa español podría confundir muy fácilmente tu respuesta, y al no entenderla, votarla negativamente. Gracias ;) –  Arkana Apr 29 '13 at 8:35
add comment

Your question shows up in the right moment for me, when I was just looking for a good opportunity to explain this topic in this community.

The right sentence is "El hijo del Sol soy yo". The reason why this causes a lot of confusion in non-Spanish speakers resides on the fact that Spanish language has two different verbs (Ser/Estar) for what all other main European languages (such as English, French, German or Italian, just to mention some of them) have only one verb (to be in English, être in French, sein in German and essere in Italian).

Therefore, there is a distinction on when and how to use each of these two verbs even though it may translate into the same verb in your native language.

First of all you have to understand the verb itself:

Ser: Is used to express an intrinsic or acquired characteristic of yourself or the subject of your speech. It is something that is long lasting and that cannot change very easily or at all.

for example:

Yo soy Mexicano - I'm Mexican

Yo soy moreno - I'm a brunet

Luke, yo soy tu padre... - Luke, I am your father

Yo soy ingeniero - I'm an Engineer

Estar: Is used to express a state or temporary characteristic. The duration of this temporary characteristic can be tricky to explain but usually is of some few minutes, hours, days, weeks or months.

Yo estoy enfermo - I'm sick/ill

Yo estoy estudiando Español - I'm studying Spanish

Yo estoy cansado - I'm tired

Yo estoy comiendo una manzana - I'm eating an apple

It is also used to express when you are at a specific location.

Yo estoy en Canadá - I'm in Canada

Yo estoy en el hospital - I'm at the hospital

Yo estoy en mi casa - I'm at home

Yo estoy en el carro - I'm in the car

Once that you understand this, you can avoid awkward moments when you say:

Yo soy (un) enfermo - I'm insane

while you wanted to say:

Yo estoy enfermo - I'm sick/ill

Just as an additional comment, depending on the context, style and actually what you are writing or saying, to say "El hijo del Sol soy yo" or "Yo soy el hijo del Sol", are equally correct but then, once again, it all depends on what message you are trying to convey. "Yo soy el hijo del Sol" is a statement, while "el hijo del Sol soy yo" emphasizes the same statement giving it a more dramatical twist.

add comment

It's "el hijo del sol soy yo", but it's better: "Soy el hijo del sol". Why? Because "es" means "is" and "soy" means "I'm".

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.