Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

After looking at the Spanish Keyboard thatcomes in Windows I have come to notice that are 5 Dead Keys on the Spanish Keyboard layout.

Name                Example 
´ ACUTE ACCENT        más
¨ DIAERESIS           pingüino 
` GRAVE ACCENT       
ˆ CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT 
~ TILDE

Why do such dead keys exist on the keyboard layout?

What significance do they have in the language?

share|improve this question

In older keyboards tilde did not appear. It had to be written with ALT+126. It's been probably added because in programming and the Internet is quite common. –  MikMik Apr 9 '13 at 9:31

@MikMik Interesting, but still doesn't explain why their is a dead key though –  Liam William Apr 10 '13 at 6:45
add comment

5 Answers 5

` (grave accent) is there for Catalan. For this language, the ç and the · were also brought in (at least on the physical keyboards sold in Spain).

^ is likely to be used for completeness (this accent is quite common in Portuguese and French)

share|improve this answer

^ and ~ are used in reintegrationalist Galician orthography, so all of the keys (dead or not) in a "Spanish" keyboard layout can be used in some (co-)official language of Spain. –  Peter Taylor Apr 12 '13 at 12:07
PS "Brought" is the past form of "bring" in standard English. –  Peter Taylor Apr 12 '13 at 12:08

@PeterTaylor facepalming myself right now... thanks! –  Alexis Pigeon Apr 12 '13 at 15:07
add comment

~ TILDE año, niño

GRAVE ACCENT and CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT are used in Portuguese, I think.

Are there any other letters in the Spanish language that use the tilde? There is already a separate key for ñ, so I'm trying to figure out if there might be another reason why. –  Liam William Apr 8 '13 at 7:35

I doubt there's some good reason (except perhaps some back-compatibilty thing) that explains why ~ ^ ` are dead keys in the spanish keyboard. –  leonbloy Apr 8 '13 at 16:24
add comment

The acute accent is used to mark which is the stressed syllable.

The diaeresis is actually only used in the 'u' letter. It is used to note that it must be pronounced in contrary to the normal uses of the ‘gue’ and ‘gui’ in the Spanish language.

There are no uses in Spanish (that I know, maybe some obscure reference) for the grave accent and the circumflex accent.

As you say, the tilde is only used for the letter 'ñ' in spanish and no other letters uses it. I have sometimes seen it as a logial NOT in logic classes such as NOT A THEN B is represented as ~A --> B instead of the symbol '¬'.

The diaeresis can also be used with i, but it is a marginal use. In poetry and the like, it is used to force a hiatus on what otherwise would be a diptong. –  MikMik Apr 9 '13 at 9:34

@MikMik Qué interesante. No lo sabía. ¿Tienes alguna referencia? –  Michael Wolf Apr 12 '13 at 18:43

Check diéresis in the RAE dictionary or in the DPD. Actually, it seems that it goes on the first vowel of the diphthong to be "broken", so I guess it can be any vowel. In the links, there are examples on i (vïuda) and u (rüido, süave). –  MikMik Apr 15 '13 at 8:51

Nice to know, but I have lived in Spain for over twenty five years (including school years) and never, ever encountered a diéresis other than the u (ü) one. The examples you use, are used with out diéresis in the day to day spanish. How strange, maybe some old linguistic deprecated rules? Edit: ah! I followed the links and are only used in old poetry texts. Now I understand :) –  Random Apr 15 '13 at 15:24
add comment

The tilde is occasionally used with the letter "a" in Portuguese. e. g. sao paolo. (sorry, I can't type it correctly, but there is a tilde on the first "a").

add comment

^ is used in Math syntax for powers: 3^2=9, because of the difficulty of writing it on the computer with its traditional notation. It's an international unwritten law (or maybe written), so we also need it.

The same with ~, it means an approximation in Maths. Also negation in logic syntax.

In Spanish language there is no usage of `, but (I'm not sure about this) I think Catalan language does use it, and they use our same keyboard. It's also useful for writing in French or Italian.

So, although they aren't used on Spanish language, they aren't dead keys for us.

"Dead keys" means that "it does not generate a (complete) character by itself but modifies the character generated by the key struck immediately after" ref –  leonbloy Apr 8 '13 at 16:22
Oh, I didn't know it. Thank you! –  machlas Apr 9 '13 at 14:36
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.