Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Although the origins of 'moot point', appear to have the opposite meaning, I'm wondering does anybody have a short phrase in Spanish for the modern meaning:

something irrelevant or not valid for discussion.

share|improve this question

Are you also looking for a Spanish phrase for the other meaning of "moot point"? That is, a point that doesn't make any difference. –  Walter Mitty Mar 23 '13 at 23:16

No. In fact en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moot_point gives 2 distinct and nearly opposite meanings, so the 'other' meaning would not be a point that doesn't make any difference, but rather a point that is relevant and on the table for discussion. The translation I ask for and what you describe are the same meaning. –  Keith Apr 7 '13 at 17:26
add comment

5 Answers 5

up vote 3 down vote accepted

In Mexico we also use "eso no va al caso" o "ni al caso".

From RAE:

caso

ni ~.

1. expr. coloq. U. para indicar que algo no se toma o no debe ser tomado en consideración.
share|improve this answer

Eso no viene al caso. (Cuba). –  qPCR4vir Mar 25 '13 at 13:25

I am, in fact, trying to translate my own poetry. So it's very difficult, as 'moot point' even conjures up images of the kind of person who would use the phrase. This is good, although in over 10 years in Mexico, it never entered my lexicon. –  Keith Apr 7 '13 at 17:28

Eso no viene al caso o cuento (España) –  OnaBai Apr 7 '13 at 17:46
add comment

The closest I know of is no tiene que ver

Yes, but it falls short of embodying the full power of moot point –  Keith Apr 7 '13 at 17:31
add comment

¿Qué tal decir que algo está fuera de lugar?

While it has a link to moot point, it is open to a variety of interpretations –  Keith Apr 7 '13 at 17:30
add comment

One way to say it could be:

Un argumento inválido.

add comment

In general, I'd simply choose irrelevante.

That -of course- means irrelevant, which might not be exactly equivalent to moot point.
But, as a general translation, it seems to me more appropiate than other proposed expressions (that might be better in special cases).

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.