Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Ya me voy" is sometimes heard often; for example at the end of the workday. What alternative phrases convey a similar meaning? "Me marcho" comes to mind, but it seems to connote walking in formation.

I realise this is an open-ended question that may or may not have a good, single answer. As such if this is a poor fit for this particular site I would agree with closing/deleting the question. In either case, thanks very much for your time and I look forward to any answers.

share|improve this question
The verb "marchar", when not used in a reflexive way (i.e. "yo me marcho", "él se marchó" instead of "yo marcho", "él marchó") does not connote walking in formation ;) –  Rorok_89 Mar 13 '13 at 16:38

Thanks very much for your comment. It is very interesting that there are different meanings for verbs when used in a reflexive and non-reflexive manner. I will definitely look further into this; again, thank you. –  bernie Mar 13 '13 at 17:10
@Rorok_89 you mean "when used in a reflexive way does not connete walking in formation", don't you? Anyway, here in Spain there are places where "marchar" (without the reflexive" is used to mean "leave": "¿Ya marchas?" or "marcho, que llego tarde". In fact, RAE says "marchar" means "irse". –  MikMik Mar 14 '13 at 9:31

@MikMik right! I meant what you said. And yes to your second point. For instance in Galicia, where I live, it is generally said without the reflexive, because in Galician language it's said like that and it spread to Spanish, altough I think it's not entirely correct to say it that way in Spanish ;) –  Rorok_89 Mar 15 '13 at 10:48

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

«Me marcho» is perfectly fine and does not imply marching in formation. These are some other alternatives, albeit a bit colloquial: «Me largo», «Me piro».

share|improve this answer

Thanks very much. –  bernie Mar 13 '13 at 17:10

Alternativas más coloquiales:

• Me largo
  • Me abro
  • Me las piro (me las piro, vampiro)

Si vas a irte y tienes mucha prisa:

• Salgo pitando
  • Me voy zumbando
  • Me voy cagando leches (muy vulgar)
  • Ya me he ido

Si vas a abandonar un grupo por cansancio, o desagrado ante alguna situación:

• Ahí os quedáis

Muchisimas gracias. –  bernie Mar 15 '13 at 2:17

A couple of ways comes to mind:

• Estoy por irme (I'm about to go)
  • Voy saliendo (I'm walking out)
  • Me estoy yendo (I'm leaving)

It depends on what country you are, which expression is used most commonly.

About the verb "Marchar", as MikMik said, it does not have the meaning of walking in formation when used in a reflexive way.

Thank you for these additional alternatives. –  bernie Mar 14 '13 at 19:57

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.