Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Even my Mexican friends don't know how to say "pie pan" or "pie tin" in Spanish. Google isn't much help, either.

How can I effectively communicate about a pie pan?

Examples:

Disposable, single-use pie pan, made of aluminum:

Aluminum pie pan

Multi-use metal pie pan:

Metal pie pan

Glass pie pan:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Could you add a picture so users can effectively identify it? Maybe it's easier than giving a translation, as it seems it doesn't work. –  JoulSauron Feb 25 '13 at 15:42

3 Answers 3

The first image that comes to my mind is the traditional apple pie dish, baked on top of an aluminum foil plate. It's a hard item to find in Spanish cuisine, but I would use molde para tartas o plato para tartas

share|improve this answer
+1. Looking around on a department store website, the closest approximations I can find to the Google image results for pie pan are simply labelled as molde. –  Peter Taylor Feb 26 '13 at 13:58

In Spain, pay doesn't exist. Tarta is a generic word used for everything that is a dessert that is round; specialized deserts exist, like bizchoco which is a cake with a hole - like pound cake. Apple pie for example may be tarta de manzana. Pie, like American pie, is not so common so there is not a specific word for it. The pan may be called molde para tartas because it basically means that you want to make a dessert in the shape of a pie.

Isn't bizcocho a synonym of coca, and void of implication about shape? –  Peter Taylor Mar 4 '13 at 15:41

@PeterTaylor, well, depending what you mean by "coca" :D But yes, bizcocho can be of any shape, it's a sponge cake. –  JoulSauron Mar 4 '13 at 17:09

I guess it depends a lot on the region, but what I've seen on Northern Mexico (more specifically Chihuahua) is "Base para Pay" (and yes usually pie here is "pay") or "Corteza para Pay"

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.