Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is somewhat computer related as well.

If one installs myspell package in Ubuntu, it would download files for Spanish Spanish, and files for e.g. Argentinian Spanish would be just symlinks to it. Which means that as far as spellchecker is concerned, there's only one Spanish.

I wonder if it's useable like that? If not, maybe you are aware of myspell dictionaries for different variants of Spanish and could provide a link?

Now yes, it's about software, but it needs an answer from actual speakers, so I decided to post it here, not at stackoverflow or poweruser.

Thanks in advance for your help.

share|improve this question

What is your question? –  Flimzy Feb 8 '13 at 0:00

My question is whether it's OK to use the same spellchecker dictionaries for all regional variants of Spanish, and if no, where could I find more relevant dictionaries. This is a software related question which only native speakers can answer, hence spanish.stackexchange. –  Roman Grazhdan Feb 8 '13 at 23:12

It's not really a Spanish-related question; it's more of a linguistic question: Do different dialects have different languages? The exact same question can be asked of English, or any other language with multiple dialects. –  Flimzy Feb 8 '13 at 23:29

There are many spell checkers available, many open source, which offer regional dictionaries. –  Flimzy Feb 8 '13 at 23:29

And these dictionaries can be obtained where? –  Roman Grazhdan Feb 10 '13 at 15:35
show 1 more comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

as far as spellchecker is concerned, there's only one Spanish

That sounds true to me. The differences among Spanish variants are relevant in vocabulary, grammar and pronounciation; but there are no differences in spelling, as far as I know.

It's true, however, that vocabulary and grammar differences could have some small influence on a speller, eg: "sabés" would be acceptable in Spanish with voseo, while in other regions the speller should suggest instead "sabes" or "sabéis".

share|improve this answer

But the spelling is different in "sabés" because of it's actually a different word ;) –  JoulSauron Feb 21 '13 at 11:16
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.