Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend of mine in Mexico invited my roommate, LaPorte, and I to an event. I am unable to attend, but my roommate is. In my response, expressing how I wish I could come, I want to say something similar to this English phrase:

I'm jealous that LaPorte gets to eat some of your amazing food!

My first thought was to write:

Estoy celoso que LaPorte va a disfrutar la comida rica que siempre cocinan

But then I felt like celoso might be too strong of a word in this context so I thought maybe I should write:

Me esta dando envidia que LaPorte va a disfrutar la comida rica que siempre cocinan

Help me better understand how to appropriately express jealousy in Spanish in this context and maybe in others as well.

share|improve this question

Nice question, but it would be better if you rephrase this to ask the appropriate use of "celos" and "envidia" and which one of those to use for this case. This is a psychology page that talks about the differences inteligencia-emocional.org/cursos-gratis/celos/… but is in Spanish. –  Alfredo Osorio Feb 7 '13 at 18:39

Envidia es mucho más apropiado en este caso. Celos es más apropiado cuando te "ningunean" amorosa, personal o profesionalmente. –  Fran Feb 7 '13 at 19:22

Note that "jealousy" isn't even the right word in English, which will make translation difficult. You're really talking about envy--which are often confused (at least in English), but are quite separate. –  Flimzy Feb 8 '13 at 0:13

Awesome comments, references, and answers, I was feeling like celos didn't sound quite right. I wish I could upvote these comments and answers. –  Kyle Weller Feb 8 '13 at 2:44
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

With that context, the most appropriate one would be a variation of the third one:

Me da envidia que LaPorte va a comer (o va a disfrutar) su excelente comida, y yo no.

At the end, emphasizing that you won't be able to enjoy it.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.