Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Spanish has, to my knowledge, more possible suffixes than for example English or German. Many adjectives can be transformed into nouns by adding -ness, -ism, -ity in English, or -keit, -heit, -ismus in German.

Which suffixes exist in Spanish for this case, which one should know to make vocabulary learning/remembering easier?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Richard, Flimzy, Dori Nov 17 '11 at 23:00

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm not sure what you're asking? If you're asking a full list of suffixes in Spanish that's against one of the guidelines in the FAQ, but if you're not asking for that it's unclear to me exactly what you are asking for. Can you think of a way to reword the question to make it clearer? –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 20:42
If you are interested in applying a specific rule, you should ask about that rule. If you are asking for an entire list of rules, it's not really a good question for the StackExchange format. The reason is that this becomes much too large of a question and moves out of the scope of a Question-and-Answer format into the format of a tutorial or Spanish lesson. Unfortunately, I believe that this question, as worded, isn't quite suitable for this site. –  Richard Nov 17 '11 at 20:52

I don't see how this can be off-topic or viewed as a open-ended list question, I'm asking for probably 5-10 spanish suffixes, a native speaker with huge knowledge of vocabulary can likely name within seconds. It's very fussy imho if you are not allowed to ask for such linguistic patterns of a language where natives can give good insights on such a site. Grammar rules you can look up on thousand internet pages.. Same question was very on-topic on GLU german.stackexchange.com/questions/1862/… –  Hauser Nov 18 '11 at 14:00

There are two problems with a list-question of this type, and neither is that the list would be infinitely long. 1) It solicits multiple corret/partial answers, making it impossible to choose the "correct" one. 2) As a reference material for future visitors, it makes finding the specific info they need harder, because they'll have to dig through the entire question. Having said that, your recent edit narrows the scope significantly, and thus makes it a better questions. –  Flimzy Nov 18 '11 at 14:41
-ism is -ismo, -ness and -ity are -dad / -edad / -idad. There's probably others but there's probably others in English too. –  hippietrail Nov 18 '11 at 15:55