Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I learned that solo in Spanish means both "alone" (the simple fact of not having anyone else around) and "lonely" (feeling sad because of being alone). Is there any way of distinguishing between these two English meanings in Spanish? Or is the context in which solo is used the only way to determine which of the two senses is intended?

share|improve this question
"El está solo" vs "El se siente solo" sounds clear enough to me. Do you have problems recognizing the meaning in some special context? –  belisarius Jan 28 '13 at 4:05

@belisarius: Maybe that's the difference then. Does the alone meaning always go with estar and the lonely meaning always go with sentirse? –  jrdioko Jan 28 '13 at 4:07
There are also some not so clear variations. For example: "El se encuentra solo" (literature), "Está solo como un ... (usually dog)". The meaning in those aren't so clear and one could argue that they allude to both English words –  belisarius Jan 28 '13 at 4:17

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Like Belisarius answered, the difference is communicated through the verb:

Yo estoy solo = I am alone (infinitive is estar)

Me siento solo = I am lonely (infinitive is sentirse)

For what it's worth: Verbs are king in Spanish and generally communicate much more meaning than English verbs. If you can dominate verbs and their nuances you're well on your way to being fluent in Spanish.

share|improve this answer

Your question was answered by belisarius, but what he last commented is a common issue, to solve it we earlier used the tittle as explained below, but recently the "RAE" (Real Academia Española) dediced to remove this rule, anyway most of the people keep on using it.

3.2.3: sólo/solo. The word solo can be an adjetive: "No me gusta el café solo"; "Vive él solo en esa gran mansión; or an adverb: "Solo nos llovió dos días"; Contesta solo sí o no". Usually as it's a "llana" word ended in vocal it shouldn't have accent. But when this word may be misinterpreted in a sentence as adverv or adjetive, we'll use the tittle in the adverb to avoid confussion: "Estaré solo un mes" (as it doesn't carry tittle, it is intepreted as adjetive: alone); meanwhile "Estaré sólo un mes" (as it carries tittle, it is interpreted as adjetive: only)

Translation from source

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.