Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In mathematics a quiver is a multidigraph. It is a directed graph that allows multiple arrows and loops. The non-mathematical Wikipedia article on the quiver, corresponds to the Spanish article on carcaj o aljaba.

Is there a standard Spanish translation for the mathematical term?

share|improve this question
¿Cuál es la diferencia entre un Quiver y un multigrafo dirigido? –  jachguate Jan 24 '13 at 5:46

Creo que no toda la gente se refiere a "multigrafo dirigido" como a algo que permita loops: un quiver los permite. Además "quiver" me suena más una categoría; multigrafo dirigido no. Que haya una palabra para quiver simplifica las cosas: la hay en italiano (faretra) y en alemán (Köcher) en argot matemático. –  c.p. Jan 24 '13 at 17:57
Dado que tu pregunta requiere de un alto conocimiento de tal argot, creo que debes considerar su migración a math.SE –  jachguate Jan 24 '13 at 18:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I am not a mathematician, but, according to what I read in the link you provided:

a quiver is a directed graph where loops and multiple arrows between two vertices are allowed, i.e. a multidigraph

So, multidigraph is multigrafo in Spanish.

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

+1, Gracias Dante, sólo que un quiver parece ser algo más específico. Más bien pregunto no por una posible traducción, sino por una estándar, que ya esté en uso en el argot matemático. –  c.p. Jan 23 '13 at 20:19
@JorgeCampos Hoy mismo se ha creado una propuesta en Area51.StackExchange llamado 'Mathematics in Spanish', podrías intentar preguntar allí: area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/50091/mathematics-in-spanish –  mornaner Jan 24 '13 at 9:57

Gracias @mornaner, I just posted that now. –  c.p. Jan 24 '13 at 18:01

In English, a quiver the container for the collection of arrows. So the vocabulary must come from archery.

Here's a list of Spanish archery terms http://www.lograrco.es/pdf/Diccionario.pdf they suggest carcaj

The spanish experts on quivers are Daniel Labardini Fragoso and Oscar Chacaltana. I wonder what word they use.

share|improve this answer

nice catch! you got +1 –  jachguate Jan 28 '13 at 7:57

It can be also aljaba, being a synonym AFAICS –  jachguate Jan 28 '13 at 8:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.