Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that there are (at least) three types of personal pronouns in Spanish (well, and English): direct, indirect, and reflexive. In cases where all three (or at least two) are present, what is the correct ordering of these pronouns?

Also, why is this the correct ordering of these pronouns? That is, is there a reason that the order is...whatever it is?

share|improve this question

Is this like "no me importa"? –  Richard Nov 17 '11 at 17:41

Yes -- there, that's an indirect object pronoun, since the verb (to be important) is happening to you. By contrast, reflexive pronouns are things one does to oneself -- you bathe yourself (ducharse), you dress yourself (vestirese), etc. –  Aarthi Nov 17 '11 at 17:43

Maybe you dress yourself... –  Flimzy Nov 17 '11 at 17:44
Maybe you can post some examples? –  Joze Nov 17 '11 at 17:52

Do you mean "three types of pronouns in Spanish" or "three types of object pronouns in Spanish"? Subject, Direct, Indirect, Reflexive. –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 18:55
show 2 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The correct order can be remembered by the acronym RID (as in, "I need to get RID of this confusion about pronouns!") for reflexive, indirect, direct.

All three pronouns can't appear together, but two can in the following combinations:

• Reflexive-Indirect: Se me olvidó. ("I forgot." or literally "It forgot itself to me.")
  • Reflexive-Direct: Me lo pongo. ("I put it on.")
  • Indirect-Direct: Me lo dio. ("He gave it to me.")

Also remember the la-la rule: if both pronouns start with the letter l, change the first pronoun to se.

As to why it is how it is, I wasn't able to find anything. This is most likely part of the natural evolution of a language over time, as opposed to an instance of grammarians sitting down and deciding on a rule.

share|improve this answer

May I ask which example type, if any, matches the following? 'Ella me dijo que' which I understand is 'She told me that' –  jasonmcclurg Dec 8 '11 at 4:04
@jasonmcclurg: That example has only one object pronoun. Ella is the subject pronoun, me is an indirect object pronoun, and dijo is the verb. –  jrdioko Dec 8 '11 at 17:17

Ah, yes, thank you. That is helpful. –  jasonmcclurg Dec 9 '11 at 4:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.