Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is Puerto Rican Spanish for "John Doe" or "Jane Doe" ? Is it still Fulano de Tal ?

share|improve this question
similar question to:spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/692/… –  Laura Nov 30 '12 at 9:59

Cuba: Fulano de Tal o Mascual, Mengano, Esperansejo y hasta Periquito Perez. –  qPCR4vir Jan 24 '13 at 23:13
add comment

3 Answers

"Fulano or Fulana De Tal" is the legally accepted name for official documents.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Also used are "Mengano", "Zutano", "Perengano" and "Perico de los Palotes".

Are these specifically used in Puerto Rico, or is your answer being general (or local to Spain)? –  JoulSauron Nov 30 '12 at 10:22

I'm sorry, these are used in Spain. –  Fraskito Nov 30 '12 at 10:31
These are used in Argentina, too (except here it's Juan de los Palotes). I'm quite sure these are common in other Spanish speaking countries, though I'm not sure if that's the case in Puerto Rico. –  Juan Pablo Califano Nov 30 '12 at 10:58
They are used in Mexico as well. –  Dante Nov 30 '12 at 13:22
In Guatemala I heard "Mengano", "Sutano" and "Perensejo", but not "Perengano". "Perico de los Palotes" is also understood, along with "Juan Pueblo" and "Juan Pérez" which IMHO is more like "John Doe" than the first ones. Unfortunately we don't have a "Jane Doe" equivalent, but I tend to say "María Gómez" when I need a female one. –  jachguate Nov 30 '12 at 18:54
add comment

According to the Wikipedia, it can be "Fulano de Tal", "Juan Pérez" or "Juan del Pueblo".

I'm used to say and hear "Juan Pueblo" but not "Juan [DEL] Pueblo". –  jachguate Nov 30 '12 at 18:56
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.