Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the hit novel Mala honda by Chilean author Alberto Fuguet I remember the word "bomb" being used a lot.

It's obviously a slang word. I think it was only used in dialogue. I got the impression it was there to set the tone of the period, which is the very early 1980s.

Una vez fui a su casa, me acuerdo a hacer un trabajo. El impacto fue duro, no pude dormir, quedé bomb.

Regresar a Chile, loco, a este puterío rasca, bomb, con los milicos por todos lados y la repre, las mentes chatas, es más que heavy.

Me siento detrás de ellos, mis ojos enfrentando el estacionamiento, mis oídos enfrentando a estos dos clones de Jerry Lewis en su etapa más bomb.

So how widespread is or was the term "bomb"? Just '80s Chile or beyond?

As a bonus question, what does it mean? Just "cool" or something else?

share|improve this question
This question is the bomb! –  Flimzy Nov 17 '11 at 17:32

The book made me think it was being used in Chile before I remember it being used in English, but I might be wrong on that. –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 18:07
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

That word "bomb" (or "bomba" in Spanish) was (and sometimes is) used not only in Chile but in Argentina also. In phrases like:

¡Esto es una bomba! (This is so awesome/cool!)

And:

¡La pasamos bomba! (We had a very good time!)

But as you said it was used more in the '80s and it's not used very often now.

share|improve this answer

It really stood out to me particularly for being spelled in English consistently in the book. Thanks for the answer! –  hippietrail Nov 18 '11 at 19:51

I'm not sure this fits in with the first two example sentences. Can you make any comment on those now that I've added some from the actual text of the book? –  hippietrail Nov 21 '11 at 15:20
Mmm... I don't know that use of "bomb". Maybe is a very specific slang of that Author or maybe as you say a term used only in Chile in the '80s. –  Lucas Gabriel Sánchez Nov 21 '11 at 20:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.