Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was in Panama about five years ago and there was a common deep fried street food called "biñuelo".

Of course there's a regular Spanish word "buñuelo" which means fritter.

So is "biñuelo" just the Panamanian regionalism for "buñuelo" or do they have both words and use them for slightly different things? It's common enough in Panama to see that it's not just a rare misspelling or mistake.

Or could "biñuelo" involve some kind of wordplay or have a totally different origin to "buñuelo" and just be similar by coincidence?

Where does "biñuelo" come from and how does it relate to "buñuelo"?

(It's not in the DRAE or other dictionaries I've checked but it's easy to find via Google, especially in the plural.)

share|improve this question

Hmmm.... interesting. –  Joze Nov 17 '11 at 15:09

I've been collecting unusual Spanish words in my travels for years. Now I have an excuse to dredge through some of them at last (-: –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 15:12
There's a Facebook page for "Señoras que dicen "biñuelos" en lugar de buñuelos..." The one post suggests the word is "valenciano" as opposed to "castellano". I'm not sure what, if anything, we can learn from that. –  Jon Ericson Nov 21 '11 at 21:03

@JonEricson, we can learn not to trust things people post on Facebook ;) In valencià it's bunyol. –  Peter Taylor Sep 26 '13 at 13:34

1 Answer 1

It's just a deformation (pretty common in the jargon of Caribbean countries).

share|improve this answer
Is the change from "u" to "i" particularly common? Stack Exchange likes well fleshed out answers! (-: –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 15:34

Actually isn't that common (at least not for what I know). –  Randolf R-F Nov 17 '11 at 16:49
@hippietrail I searched Google Panamá and I always got back recipes for fritters. I also found a Peruvian blog with pictures of Biñuelos Arequipeños con miel (looked yummy). Colombians say that someone is a buñuelo when that person is really bad at performing some task. Soy un buñuelo para el fútbol (I am a really lousy soccer player). –  Icarus Dec 21 '11 at 18:48

@Icarus, I'm from colombia. We don't use that al least not within the urban territories. It's used more to denote someone fat –  Randolf R-F Dec 22 '11 at 21:03

@RandolRincón-Fadul: I disagree with your claim that is not used to refer to someone very inexperienced "or at least not in the urban territories". It's quite the opposite: It's more common its use to denote inexperience than someone being fat. A quick Google search for "buñuelo colombianismo", for example, will retrieve a bunch of links showing that "buñuelo" is the equivalent of principiante, novato, neófito, bisoño, inexperto, etc. See this Wikipedia article of colombianismos: es.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wikcionario:Colombianismos –  Icarus Dec 23 '11 at 15:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.