Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read about unsanded grout in a DIY blog and want to buy it. But I don't know how to translate that to spanish. What is it called in Spanish or Castellano?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I know in Mexico, "grout" is called "yeso". I have heard that in some countries, don't ask me which ones, it is also called "lechada".

About the "unsanded" part, honestly I have no idea what that means. At best I can only infer that since sand means "arena" maybe, big emphasis on the maybe, it means that the mixture of "yeso" or "lechada" should not contain sand.

I have looked for "yeso" and "lechada" in RAE and also for "yeso" in wikipedia but I was not lucky in trying to get more information for you.

share|improve this answer

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2439219 — “Unsanded” means literally “without sand”. It is used for several things, such as crystal tiles — without sand, it won’t hurt/leave marks in the crystal.” –  Gallaecio Oct 29 '12 at 19:53

The shop owner did know what we mean by using the word lechada. –  juergen d Oct 29 '12 at 20:04

@juergend: Maybe now days it is much more common to use "yeso" instead. I'm glad that I was able to help. –  Sergio Romero Oct 29 '12 at 20:14
add comment

Mi esposa es de Perú y ella me dijo la palabra para rellenar grietas es 'masilla'.

I looked up 'masilla' and the translators online refer to it as 'putty', but it may be a regional word. She added that 'yeso' is used to refer to the material that is used for a cast on a broken bone.

add comment

I've been searching for that too and what I found was this: "Adhesivo para pegar azulejo mosaico" o "pega-azulejo".

add comment

Sand as a verb is translated as "lijar" in spanish, so it must be something like "yeso grumoso" or a kind of grout (yeso) with a rough finish to it (?)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.