Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English we have the two words "dawn" and "sunrise".

But in Spanish there are three words, "alborada", "amanecer", and "madrugada".

Do the three Spanish words refer to the same thing? Or is one closer to "sunrise" and another close to "dawn"? In which case where would the third fit in?

share|improve this question
Don't forget la salida del sol and el crepúsculo. –  Brian Nov 19 '11 at 10:02

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

"Alborada" and "amanecer" are two different words that refer to "sunrise". "Anochecer" and "atardecer" are used for the dusk, but "anochecer" is used near the night, whilst "atardecer" is used in the afternoon.

"Madrugada" is the time between 00.00 and 06.00 aprox.

share|improve this answer

I think you've messed up your sentence somehow at "used to the down". –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 11:47
Sorry.. :p edited! –  elboletaire Nov 17 '11 at 11:53

As far as I know, anochecer and atardecer are not related to the english word dawn. Am I wrong? –  Nicolás Nov 17 '11 at 13:20

you're right atardecer and anochecer are related to dusk and to get dark (I don't know if there is an specific word?) –  Laura Nov 17 '11 at 14:13

Sorry, I confused 'dawn' with dusk... :\ –  elboletaire Nov 19 '11 at 8:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.