Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let me explain myself, the official definition is "scholarship holder", but in some places it is a position in a company, sometimes is a pro bono position but most of the times is an entry level job.

share|improve this question
Eso suena como lo que en inglés decimos "intern," lo cual es una posición en una compañía, normalmente sin sueldo, ocupado por una persona en entrenamiento en su campo. – Frank Sep 21 '12 at 15:02
I don't understand what you mean by "pro bono". Usually this refers to professional services, like legal counsel, offered without a fee, for the public good. Is the usage you gave for "becario" associated with subsidized employment? – Walter Mitty Sep 21 '12 at 19:40
@WalterMitty no, I meant "offered without a fee", some countries have this form of employment that is mandatory. But I think that the word is used sometimes as trainee and others as intern and some others as a pro bono position, that's why I was confused in the first place. – pacofvf Sep 21 '12 at 21:27
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I am not sure if "trainee" could be considered the same thing but it looks like a good candidate.

share|improve this answer
It sounds like maybe "intern" would be a possible translation. But I'm not really sure. – Flimzy Oct 19 '12 at 18:34
@Flimzy: I could be wrong but, the way I understand it is that intern is a temporary worker, like a student who is getting some experience by working at a company during the summer for example. Trainee is someone who has already been hired by the company as a permanent employee but still does not have the skills to be given the full responsibilities yet. – Sergio Romero Oct 19 '12 at 18:49

The word "Fellow" is also associated with this word.

share|improve this answer

Trainees and Interns can still get paid, even if its a stipend. However, a "Volunteer" does not get paid, although reimbursement for expenses, meals, lodging, transportation, clothing, supplies and other fringe benefits can be provided. If your intent is to use a "Scholarship Holder" (also knows as a "Grantee", "Recipient" or "Beneficiary") who has been assigned a school project to gain experience (also known as an "Internship") at a business, hospital, legal practice, etc., then the word "Intern" applies.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.