Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to say 'is climate change making them worse?' as a question, with 'them' referring to 'floods'. The full sentence is meant to be a title or slogan for something, like 'Floods in Ecuador; is climate change making them worse?'

I thought it might be something like: ¿El cambio climático les hace peor(es)? or ¿El cambio climático les empeora?

I am probably wrong but I thought I'd have a go myself before asking the question.

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

You should go with "las", not "les". I'm not much of a grammar guy, but here "les" means "to them", not "them", so it sounds like the floods themselves are suffering or being affected (in a kind of personal way, if that makes sense).

"El cambio climático las empeora" or "El cambio climático las está empeorando" look fine to me.

share|improve this answer
Correct. The reason is that "las" is a direct object whereas "les" is an indirect object. You need a direct object here. –  CesarGon Sep 20 '12 at 15:40
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.