Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I make apps in my free time and I try to localize them myself, mostly using Google Translate, existing open source resource files etc.

Some words though, are very specific when it comes to computer or smart phone usage, so the translations I come up with can sometimes be totally out of context.

For example, how would you translate "tap", "long press", "swipe" and "flick"? These are typical words that come up all the time in smart phone usage.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's a bit difficult translate those words to spanish. I will translate it like:

Tap: Tocar

Long press: I've seen multiple ways to translate this word, like: "Pulsación larga", "pulsar prolongadamente", "mantener pulsado"... I personally like the first one.

Swipe: Deslizar or arrastrar

Flick: Tocar (Complete translation will be "Tocar rápidamente", but it's too long)

share|improve this answer

Thank you! I don't have the reputation to vote you up, but if I had, I would definitely do that! Thanks again! –  Hunkpapa Sep 10 '12 at 10:01

Here is a complete sentence I'm trying to translate: "Tap a name to make it your favorite. Long press a name to share it." "Toque en el nombre para agregarlo a tus favoritos. Pulsación larga un nombre para compartirla." Would you say that is correct? –  Hunkpapa Sep 10 '12 at 10:08
I would say: "Toca un nombre para agregarlo a tus favoritos. Mantén pulsado un nombre para compartirlo.". I put the noun of long press, not the verb, my fault. In my opinión, "mantener pulsado" (press and hold) or "pulsar prolongadamente" are the best approximations. The first one sounds more natural to me. –  Kamugo Sep 10 '12 at 13:02

Thank you very much!!! –  Hunkpapa Sep 10 '12 at 13:55
In my opinion, the translation of 'flick' is not very good. If I read 'tocar', I won't do the gesture depicted here (windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/start/…) as 'flick'. However, I can't give a better translation :( –  Sergio Cinos Sep 15 '12 at 7:09
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.