Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When referring to the fruit! (no 'fechas' nor 'meeting')
For those argentinians out there: are there dates in Argentina?

It looks like some sort of 'higo' but that is 'fig', I even thought it is something like a 'pasa' but I still have no clue, but the taste is so familiar!

enter image description here

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

According to Wikipedia, the Spanish word for the fruit of the date palm is dátil. The RAE definition defines it as:

1. m. Fruto de la palmera, de forma elipsoidal prolongada, de unos cuatro centímetros de largo por dos de grueso, cubierto con una película amarilla, carne blanquecina comestible y hueso casi cilíndrico, muy duro y con un surco a lo largo.

According to the Spanish Wikipedia articles on Phoenix dactylifera and Dátil, they come from the palmera datilera tree and are probably native to Southeast Asia. I'm not from Argentina, but found another page that mentions it's been introduced in northeast Argentina:

La palma datilera se ha introducido en Australia, y en el noreste de Argentina y Brasil, donde puede prosperar en las zonas secas. Dátiles propagados de semillas aparecen en muchas regiones tropicales y sub-tropicales donde son valorados como plantas ornamentales, pero donde el clima no es apto para la producción de fruta.

share|improve this answer

Interesting! Datiles... me voy a comer algunos! Gracias!!! –  cbarg Sep 2 '12 at 23:36
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.