Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What about that word now? "Advertir"

I always wondered how to translate "faire remarquer" from french or "to remark that" (sthg, to sb) from english, in spanish.

Would "Advertir" do the job?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Where I come from, "advertir" is more like "to give a warning". I think either "hacer notar" or "destacar" feels more natural.

Ejemplo/Example: "Quisiera destacar que esto nunca antes había sucedido."

share|improve this answer

"Notar", "hacer notar" or even "remarcar" are better translations than "advertir".

How can you use "remarcar" in this context? "Les hago remarcar que ..." ? –  Sebas Aug 24 '12 at 13:03

Like any other verb: "Les remarco que..." or "me gustaría remarcar/remarcarles" in a formal context. –  JoulSauron Aug 24 '12 at 14:31

The word "advertir" translates most closely to "to warn." "Notar" or "mencionar" would be my preference.

¡Bienvenido a Spanish.StackExchange! Check our FAQ to read our rules, and we hope to see your contributions regularly! :) –  JoulSauron Aug 24 '12 at 16:57

Thanks! I found my way here from the programming page, and I saw the Spanish page and figured I'd check it out and see if I could help in any way. –  Frank Aug 24 '12 at 17:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.