Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Whenever I talk to a friend (Dominican I believe) via chat like Gtalk, he always starts the conversation with:

klk

I did some research about that and found that, in fact, it comes from the Spanish "que lo que". So, what does that mean? Is it some kind of Dominican "hello"?

share|improve this question
Probably "Qué (es lo que) dices?" something like "Qué es lo que tienes para decir/contar?" –  belisarius Aug 23 '12 at 11:52
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It's a Dominican slang way of saying "what's up" (or even WTF), most likely coming from "¿qué es lo que esta pasando?" (What's happening? or What's going on?), suppressing the s in a way like this:

¿Qué es lo que... (está pasando, pasa, etc)? > ¿Qué eh lo que...? > ¿Qué e lo que...? > ¿Qué'e lo que...? > ¿Qué lo que...?

share|improve this answer

In Canary islands we have a similar construction "¿Qué cuál?" where the same etimology can not be used, but the meaning is the same. –  Envite Nov 28 '13 at 8:59
add comment

It means What's up. It's just like saying Ya tu sabe.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.