Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to find a proper synonym for "grande", as in the quality of three dimensional objects of occupying space, to use with a regular object, such as a "big dog". I'll explain my specific situation below.

However, when searching, this is what I find:

magnate, noble, prócer, ilustre, egregio, excelso, ínclito, sobresaliente, conspicuo

These have a totally different meaning, using the meaning of "great", as in good at something or respectable.

monumental, considerable, mayúsculo, extraordinario, desmesurado, desmedido, ingente, inusitado, gigantesco, colosal, exorbitante, enorme, tremendo, grandioso

These, while referring to space, all involve the concept of being "too big" for something. While "considerable" does not have that effect, it also does not provide the idea of something being big (as another meaning for "considerable" is also to be acceptable).

vasto, espacioso, extenso, holgado, amplio, ancho, alto, elevado

And finally, these ones are closer to that concept, but it is not completely correct to use them with the exact same meaning as "grande". A "big bed" is not the same as a "vast bed" nor a "wide or tall bed".

My specific purpose is to write this sentence. In the context, I have two dogs (one big, and one small), and I want to refer to the bigger one.

Mi perro más grande tiene (...)

I want to avoid the use of "grande" because it could also be understood as older, when I actually want to talk about size.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

When talking about animals or objects, "grande" is always about size, it only takes the meaning of age when it is said about a person, so your sentence is completely fine and impossible to be understood as "older". If you want to talk about your older dog, you would use "viejo":

viejo, ja.
1. adj. Se dice de la persona de edad. Comúnmente puede entenderse que es vieja la que cumplió 70 años. U. t. c. s.
2. adj. Se dice de los animales en igual caso, especialmente de los que son del servicio y uso domésticos.

So, you don't need any synonym as the precise word you are looking for is "grande", and there isn't any synonym for that.

share|improve this answer

Thank you! And thanks for the edits. –  Alpha Aug 18 '12 at 19:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.