Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The English "to be true" can be translated to Spanish as either ser cierto or ser verdad. What is the difference between the two? When would you use one instead of the other?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

Strictly speaking, there is a difference: "es cierto" means that something is manifestly true, with certitude.

In current common use, however, there are equivalent: "es verdad = es cierto = it's true".

share|improve this answer

And the difference is...? –  CesarGon Aug 23 '12 at 0:38

If you don't see a difference between "true" and "known with certitude as true" (see the definition of DRAE), I don't think I'll can explain it. –  leonbloy Aug 23 '12 at 1:24

Your answer states that there is a difference, and then explains what "cierto" means, but fails to explain what "verdad" means. This hardly accounts for a full answer, and hence my query. If you can't explain it, well, what's the point in writing an answer then? ;-) –  CesarGon Aug 23 '12 at 13:52

"verdad"="true" "cierto"="certainly true" –  leonbloy Aug 23 '12 at 14:24
add comment

The way I see it:

• es cierto = it's true
  • es la verdad = it's the truth
  • es verdadero = it's authentic

Note, that "verdad" is noun, not adjective.

add comment

you should think as 'cierto' = right / correct and 'verdad' = true.

'cierto' it's normally used as "es cierto" which means "that's right." while "verdad", normally used as "es verdad" means "that's true.'

ser cierto / ser verdad, even it can be ok depending the sentence, it's not used quite often.

¡Bienvenido a Spanish.SE! Esperamos ver tus contribuciones a menudo :) –  JoulSauron Aug 11 '12 at 15:48
add comment

There's no difference. "Ser cierto" is a bit more formal way for "ser verdad" but they are interchangeable in most of cases.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.