Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Español

Me encontré esta frase que me confundió en una canción : "hoy me muero yo".
¿Cuál es el significado de añadir el pronombre después de haber conjugado el verbo?

Inglés

I came across a phrase in a song which confused me. "Hoy me muero yo".

What is the meaning of adding the pronoun after you've conjugated the verb?

Pinta, pinta

Pinta su carita

Sin esa carita

Hoy me muero yo

Pequeña, echate pa'aquá

share|improve this question

¡Bienvenido a Spanish.SE! We hope to see your contributions regularly :) –  JoulSauron Aug 9 '12 at 8:32

If you know Spanish, we encourage you to write your questions in Spanish. If you are learning it, don't worry about possible mistakes, we'll help you. –  JoulSauron Aug 9 '12 at 8:49

Ah, I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know. –  hwrdprkns Aug 9 '12 at 16:45

You can read our FAQ to know how this site works. –  JoulSauron Aug 10 '12 at 9:47
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Español

Es muy común usar este orden (adverbio-verbo-sujeto) en frases cortas cuando se quiere se da más importancia a "cuándo" se lleva a cabo la acción en vez de la acción en sí misma, y el verbo es intransitivo. En estos ejemplos, se incluyen posibles preguntas.

Inglés

It's very common to use this order (adverb-verb-subject) in short sentences when you want to stress "when" the action is taken rather than the action itself, and the verb is intransitive. In these examples, I include possible questions.

— ¿Quién se muere hoy? o ¿qué pasa hoy?
— Hoy me muero yo.

— ¿Quién cocinó ayer? o ¿qué pasó ayer?
— Ayer cocinó Raquel.

— ¿Quién hablará mañana?, ¿hay algún acto mañana? o ¿cuándo hablará el presidente?
— Mañana hablará el presidente.

— ¿Vienes al cine?
— No puedo, luego vendrán mis amigos.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Without a little bit of more context it is hard to know the exact reason why this phrase was written like this.

When you do this kind of things is to provide more emphasis to what you are saying.

For example, let's pretend that two people are talking about something that has put them in a bad situation and one of them say:

Me quiero morir.

Meaning that things are so bad that she would like to die, figuratively speaking of course.

As a reply the other one says:

No, hoy me muero yo.

Meaning that this person feels much more embarrassed so today it will be HER turn to die or that she should die first, again figuratively speaking.

So, in a nutshell, this is not a way that everyday speech is used, only in very specific cases where you want to provide some emphasis to the phrase.

add comment

It's just to add some emphasis. Same in English when you say "I do like it"

¡Bienvenido a Spanish.SE! Pásate por nuestro FAQ para saber qué tratamos en este sitio. ¡Esperamos verte a menudo contribuyendo! :) –  JoulSauron Aug 9 '12 at 14:21
add comment

Es cuestión de énfasis. El "yo" al final es más enfático que antes del verbo.

Pero en una canción, también puede ser cuestión de sincronizar la letra con la música.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.