Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend was describing some food she's making. I wanted to say "You're making me hungry" or "That makes me hungry." What's the proper way to say this?

My first thought was to say something like:

Me das hambre.

But I tried Google translate, and it gives (at least) three options, depending on the exact phrase I try to translate:

Google Translate thinks:

You're making me hungry. → Usted me está haciendo hambre.
You make me hungry. → Usted me hace hambre.
That makes me hungry. → Eso me da hambre.

Should I stick with Me das hambre, or should I try Me haces hambre?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

It's "me das hambre" or "me estás dando hambre", even "me está entrando hambre" without involving the other person specifically.

share|improve this answer
+1 I would use "me está dando hambre" –  dusan Aug 5 '12 at 21:40
I'm happy to know my gut feeling was on the right track. :) –  Flimzy Aug 6 '12 at 18:48
add comment

Although you will be completely understood, I don't think it's 100% right since there's a subtle difference (as in English)

"(tú) me das hambre" = Yourself is making me hungry. "(ello) me da hambre" = something is making me hungry (listening to you talking about food)

I've downvoted this because I don't agree with these subtle differences and examples. The examples are the same just changing the person, very confusing. –  JoulSauron Aug 9 '12 at 14:27

I'm sorry you didn't get it. I tried to downvote yours because I think it's actually wrong, but I'll have to wait until I have enough rep :) Thanks for the feedback though. –  Trap Aug 9 '12 at 15:27

Your difference is between "You're making me hungry" and "That's making me hungry." Which isn't what my question is really about. Or am I misunderstanding, too? –  Flimzy Aug 9 '12 at 18:22
add comment

It's not a literal traslation, but in my opinion this is the more appropriate:
"You're making me hungry" = "Estás haciendo que me dé hambre"
"That makes me hungry." = "Está haciendo que me dé hambre"

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.