Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend was describing some food she's making. I wanted to say "You're making me hungry" or "That makes me hungry." What's the proper way to say this?

My first thought was to say something like:

Me das hambre.

But I tried Google translate, and it gives (at least) three options, depending on the exact phrase I try to translate:

Google Translate thinks:

You're making me hungry. → Usted me está haciendo hambre.
You make me hungry. → Usted me hace hambre.
That makes me hungry. → Eso me da hambre.

Should I stick with Me das hambre, or should I try Me haces hambre?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 13 down vote accepted

It's "me das hambre" or "me estás dando hambre", even "me está entrando hambre" without involving the other person specifically.

share|improve this answer
+1 I would use "me está dando hambre" –  dusan Aug 5 '12 at 21:40
I'm happy to know my gut feeling was on the right track. :) –  Flimzy Aug 6 '12 at 18:48

Although you will be completely understood, I don't think it's 100% right since there's a subtle difference (as in English) "(tú) me das hambre" = Yourself is making me hungry. "(ello) me da hambre" = something is making me hungry (listening to you talking about food) –  Trap Aug 9 '12 at 13:05

Me haces tener hambre. –  dockeryz Nov 2 at 21:56

I would not use the first option as it suggests that the other person (and not his actions) is what makes you hungry and feels a bit weird/dirty. It would not be the case if you specify the reason. E.g: Me das hambre comiendo aquí. With the other options no further explanations should be necessary, it is harder to misunderstand them. –  sui Nov 3 at 12:40

"Me estás haciendo dar hambre" is the correct way. if you say "Me das hambre" she'll probably understand you want to eat her.

@Lucas técnicamente podríamos formular la oración hipotética estás haciendo que yo haga que otros tengan hambre, por lo tanto, haces que de hambre (no me suena completamente agramatical). Esto obviamente no era lo que pedía el OP, pero podría llegar a ser válido! –  clinch Nov 3 at 23:37

@clinch, tienes razón. Reedito mi comentario: me estás haciendo dar hambre means you are making me make others hungry or sth like that, gramatically possible but weird in any context (except for some juicy people) –  Lucas Nov 4 at 10:03

It's not a literal traslation, but in my opinion this is the more appropriate:
"You're making me hungry" = "Estás haciendo que me dé hambre"
"That makes me hungry." = "Está haciendo que me dé hambre"

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.