Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been wondering how to say annoying, adjective and verb, in Spanish (ES). I come from the Northwest of the US and we use this word very often.
I have seen examples using molestar but none of them seem to be saying what I am trying to express.

Examples

These mosquitos are very annoying.
OMG! I can't believe how annoying Becky's voice is!
Stop annoying me! Stop! Stop!

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The word would be "molesto(a)" which is an adjective. As a verb it would be "molestar"

With your examples would be like so:

These mosquitos are very annoying. / Estos mosquitos son muy molestos.
OMG! I can't believe how annoying Becky's voice is! / ¡Dios mio! No puedo creer lo molesta que es la voz de Becky.
Stop annoying me! / ¡Deja de molestarme!

share|improve this answer
also "irritante" –  Laura Jul 20 '12 at 14:26

@Laura: Of course "irritante" could be used and it is correct but I do not think it is the best choice for this context for two reasons. IMHO "irritante" is something that is much more intense than annoying, something that I cannot stand anymore. Also, even though it is correct to say "Deja de irritarme" for "Stop annoying me" sounds funny and people (particularly teenagers) could make fun of whoever says that instead of stopping whatever they are doing. –  Sergio Romero Jul 20 '12 at 14:47

for me depends on the context, foor example I would never say "una voz molesta" I would prefer "Una voz irritante" for the other cases, of course, "molesto" is usually better. –  Laura Jul 20 '12 at 23:06

Hm, mosquear comes to mind, given your example. :) –  tchrist Jul 26 '12 at 12:21

Molesto/molestar son los términos más habituales en Español de España. Si utilizas enojado/enojar en España te entenderán pero suenan demasiado formales (suenan a castellano antiguo). Tambien existen alternativas coloquiales - vulgares (muy utilizadas) como:

• 'dar la brasa' = 'molestar'
  • 'pesado/a' = 'molesto'
  • 'plasta' (masculino y femenino) " = 'molesto'

"Juan es un pesado/plasta, no para de hablar", "¡Deja de darme la brasa, para de una vez!"

También se usa enojar. Por ejemplo: No me enojes significa 'don't annoy me'.

This could be added to the accepted question as a comment. –  JoulSauron Jul 20 '12 at 20:46
@JoulSauron: It's a distinct answer. It deserves its own chance at upvotes (both answers got mine_. –  Tom Au Jul 21 '12 at 0:12

@TomAu I guess that's why we have "community wiki" option, to improve an answer given by different users. –  JoulSauron Jul 21 '12 at 16:27

Adjective: enojoso –  leonbloy Jul 26 '12 at 23:11

I'd prefer "molesto" or "irritante": This is annoying: 'Esto es irritante' –  Barranka Jul 29 '12 at 16:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.