Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Hace poco me di cuenta de que existen dos palabras en español que equivalen a la palabra "honor" en inglés: honor y honra. ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre estas dos palabras? ¿Cuál es más común?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

IMHO, the distinction is very slim (in fact, some times can be exchanged) but...

Honor would be something that dignifies your position in the society for doing something "honorable" not only for you, but for said society itself (a heroic sacrifice in an act of war, for instance) whereas Honra would be a bit more personal (you live your own life with virtue)

If you search both terms in the dictionary of the RAE, the fist two entries for Honor mention that is something you get when fulfilling obligations with oneself but also (here's the important part) with your fellow men. On the other hand, the definitions of Honra are exclusively related to the individual.

To me, honor sounds "bigger" (more important or solemn) than honra.

It's a pretty tricky distinction, though.

And about which one is more common... I would say "honor" is used more often but that's just (once again) my opinion.

share|improve this answer

Also, when used as a verb "to honor someone" in Spanish is "honrar a alguien" –  Trap Aug 9 '12 at 13:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.