Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was listening to a conversation and heard the question, '¿Donde se crió?', and the reflexive caught me by surprise. Checking my dictionary didn't help much. Although 'criar' and 'criarse' are both listed, the latter definition is listed as 'breed' whereas the former is 'to grow up, etc'. I'm pretty sure the speaker was asking where they grew up and nothing about breeding. :). Is this a miss on the dictionary? It seems redundant to make a verb about growing up reflexive but there are plenty of examples that are similar so I wouldn't be surprised. In the end, which is correct and how should they be used? Thanks!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It's a mistake from the dictionary.

"Criar" is to breed:

3 tr. Alimentar, cuidar y cebar aves u otros animales.

Yo crío vacas y pollos en mi granja.

"Criarse" is to grow up:

13 pronominal. Dicho de un ser vivo: Desarrollarse, crecer. La niña se ha criado muy sana.

Yo me crié en un pequeño pueblo en la montaña, pero ahora vivo en la ciudad.

share|improve this answer

Gracias! I figured the dictionary might be wrong. Time to find a good offline resource. –  McArthey Jul 9 '12 at 23:39

Well... At least in Spain, if you ask

¿Dónde crió?

to someone, that someone will immediately ask you

¿Dónde crió qué?

because "criar" can be used also as growing something (criar patatas: Growing potatoes). So if you want to talk about the person object of the question, you'll have to use the reflexive form. (Something like Where did he grow himself up?)

You can check "criar" in the Diccionario Panhispánico de dudas. There's a brief explanation about it.

share|improve this answer

To me, this is similar to what I do to my kids all the time when they ask, 'Do you know what time it is?' or 'Can I go?'. Sometimes the jokes are just for me. –  McArthey Jul 9 '12 at 23:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.