Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While reading a spanish-language article on some client-side topics, I was surprised to read following passage:

La gente de Microsoft hizo un excelente artículo (con una gran demo incluida), donde se pueden apreciar las ventajas que ofrece este método en términos de performance.

My question is - Is performance a common, well established word in spanish IT slang, which is used instead of "rendimiento" or whatever is used in standard Spanish in that cases?

If yes, this is appropriate, then how should I pronounce it?

share|improve this question
It is very common but you also have: desempeño, rendimiento, duración and comportamiento, But each of these words have it's own meaning while at the same time they share some similarities. You also have Performar but is less used. –  user983248 Jul 10 '12 at 3:08
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It is common to spot it through the Latin American IT world, though it is not correct, as the proper word for that is, as you say, "rendimiento", or "comportamiento". There is no excuse to use "performance" in Spanish.

My guess is that people who use "performance" understand the concept but don't link it the word in Spanish for that. The pronunciation would be similar as in English, "performans".

share|improve this answer
As a side note, "performance" is becoming really common for "street performances" instead of "representación callejera". –  JoulSauron Jul 9 '12 at 21:15
Google ngrams shows that 'performance' came into usage in the early 1960s, but is still rarely used. 'comportamiento' is easily the favored term. –  Flimzy Jul 10 '12 at 9:15

Well, that's when computers started to become a little bit more popular, out from calculus/military context. –  JoulSauron Jul 10 '12 at 9:24
add comment

I would say not really, at least in Spain.

I am Computer Engineer, and I think most of us would understand it, but is not a common term.

This is totally subjective. though, but to me it sounds a bit ridiculous, even... Like you'd be trying to be "cool".

If you were to pronounce it, I'm guessing the phonetic transcription would be: peɾfoɾ´manθe (I just used an online tool, though)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.