Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've come across the below sentence:

Este año he decidido serme fiel a mi misma y no mentirme

I checked the dictionary and couldn't find the word "serme". What does it mean?

share|improve this question

As an aside, "a mi misma" is redundant in the sentence. "Serme fiel" implies it. "Este año he decidido serme fiel y no mentirme". –  Adriano Varoli Piazza Apr 4 at 14:29

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

serme = ser + me and means "to be" in its infinitive reflexive form. "Mentirme" is of the same form, mentir + me.

This year I decided to be faithful to myself and not lie to myself.

You can add the reflexive pronouns to the end of infinitives, gerunds and affirmative imperative verbs.

share|improve this answer

thanks for your comment. Since usually if the word is relfexive, the dictionary will always show somethinglike "serse" or "mentirse". But this time I couldn't find both words this time. Why doesn't the dictionary show that? I used the online dictionary "wordreference.com". –  Cadenza Jul 7 '12 at 7:09

@ Cadenza : I can't find any examples of it being used either. But I can't see what else they could have meant. Was it from an old book? It certainly appears superfluous as "Este año he decidido ser fiel a mí mismo y no mentirme a mí misma." would mean the same. –  BrianA Jul 7 '12 at 17:12

No, it's from a recent article written by someone. –  Cadenza Jul 7 '12 at 19:21

By the way, why you said "ser fiel a mí mismO" but "mentirme a mí mismA"? –  Cadenza Jul 7 '12 at 19:24

Finger trouble with cut and paste! "Este año he decidido ser fiel a mí misma y no mentirme" As per your original sentence. –  BrianA Jul 8 '12 at 11:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.