Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Another question touched on this issue, but I wanted to ask in more detail. Mar is a noun that can be masculine or feminine. I have heard that there are subtle differences in connotations between the two (for example, one gender is more often used in certain contexts, or one sounds more poetic or emotional). What exactly are the difference senses that each gender has? Are these connotations universal through the Spanish-speaking world, or are there regional differences as well?

share|improve this question

Note that there isn't any real connotation or difference, the meaning is always the same, as by definition of "nombre ambiguo". It's just a matter of preference in choosing the gender depending on the context. –  JoulSauron Jul 5 '12 at 18:08
El Mar is the sea. La Mar makes donuts. Mmmmm. Yummy! –  Flimzy Jul 5 '12 at 19:24
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 8 down vote accepted

As RAE states in the website it's an ambiguous name, i.e. it accepts both genders, so grammatically it would be correct to use any of them, unless for the expressions given there which just accept one.

Depending on the region one is more used than the other. For example in Spain the people who live close to the sea (sailors) tend to say "la mar", though in the rest of the country people use more "el mar". Also, "la mar" sounds more poetic, so it's probably more used in poems.

Anyway, there are expressions which are more typical to be heard with one gender (at least haven't heard in the other way), for example:

In masculine:

Bajo el mar

En el fondo del mar

Mar abierto

In femenine:

la mar de (when it means much) e.g. Había la mar de gente - this can only be used in femenine.

When speaking about the kind of the sea we have today it's usually only in femenine, e.g. these ones:

Mar alta

Mar gruesa

Mar arbolada

Mar rizada

share|improve this answer

In poetry, I guess in a poem about the sea fits better "la mar" because it's how sailors use it. –  JoulSauron Jul 5 '12 at 18:04
add comment

Actually the most common is "el mar". When people say "la mar" is to emphasize or to give a romantic meaning. Also seamen use "nos vamos a la mar".

But in daily spanish people say "el mar". It happens something similar with "el calor" and "la calor".

I don't agree, people who lives near the sea usually says "la mar" –  Laura Jul 6 '12 at 14:57
I lived by the sea in Spain for all my life and the most common is "el mar". Sailors use "la mar", but they are not most of the people. –  Carlos Cachalote Jul 10 '12 at 8:33

Anyway, I think it is a matter of which area you are living. In some places will be more common to hear "la mar" and i onthers "el mar". I speak for my region, –  Carlos Cachalote Jul 10 '12 at 8:38
add comment

I have heard that la mar is used when people are actually on the sea, travelling across, on the water. This may explain why sailors tend to use la mar.

add comment

"La mar" is used mostly in poetry.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.