Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
Difference between “mas” and “más”

The question is quite simple.

When does mas have an accent? Mas can mean more but it has other meanings as well.

Can someone explain to me not only the meanings but how to properly use it with accent and without it?

share|improve this question
add comment

marked as duplicate by Chewie, Nicolás, Alfredo Osorio, dusan, JoulSauron Dec 18 '12 at 9:18

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

Well it actually is about the meaning. "Más" and "mas" are different words.

Más can be comparative adverb or a noun.

As a comparative adverb:

Ve más rápido.

Es el más fuerte.

Fuimos más de diez personas.

¡Qué casa más bonita!

As a noun, is mathematical addition "+":

Dos más dos igual a cuatro.

Mas is an adversative conjunction. This means it is a linking word used to introduce a contrast statement:

Hace frío, mas ayer hacía más. (Hace frío, pero ayer hacía más).

As you see, the first "mas" works as a linker introducing the contrast sentences, whereas the second "más" is the comparative, as it is comparing how colder was than today.

As a rule of thumb, write "mas" without tilde when you can substitute it by "pero" or "sino". The rest of cases will be "más".

Edit: As Carrigus Carraig comments, "más" is more frequent, you would never use "mas" unless you want to write something poetic, even in formal writing.

share|improve this answer
I feel like it's worth mentioning that "más" is far more frequent - as much as 15 times more frequent - than "mas", as you can see here: is.gd/TBC4zM . Also, (WAG alert) confusion about "mas" (a word I was never taught in my studies) may be due to writers skipping the tilde in informal contexts such as text messages, Internet comments, etc. –  Garrigus Carraig Jul 3 '12 at 1:20
add comment

The word MAS is used in two context:

1. Adverb. When you're trying to count, taking into account the amount.
  2. Conjunction. When you're using for contradict. You can say a synonym for 'but', 'however'.

E.G.:

1: Dame una cerveza más.

2: Yo quisiera, mas no puedo.

share|improve this answer
There is a lot wrong with this answer. First, there is the word mas and there is the word más. Their spellings are similar, but not identical. Second, you can use más with uncountables. Third, mas is used to contrast, not to contradict. –  Michael Wolf Dec 15 '12 at 0:19

@MichaelWolf Your advices: The First one is not useful, it is already mentioned. The Second one is also not useful, I can't (anyone) put all the possibilities. The Third one, you're right but, do you know what means my example? –  Lucio Dec 15 '12 at 0:31
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.