Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a Spanish word for school board? If so, what would the translation be?

share|improve this question

Could you indicate please if you need the translation for a specific country? It can vary according to each Law on Education. –  JoulSauron Jun 12 '12 at 18:34

Moreover, I think it's a better idea to ask the translations in different questions. –  JoulSauron Jun 12 '12 at 18:35

The translation I want is for Spanish being read in the United States. –  Elizabeth Jun 12 '12 at 18:51

4 Answers 4

up vote 3 down vote accepted

"Consejo escolar", "junta escolar" or "comité escolar" would be the most neutral for any Spanish speaker, anybody would understand the same.

As for US, the translation they use in the Los Angeles High School is "consejo escolar".

share|improve this answer
I like your answer. All the three terms you provide are perfectly inteligible everywhere, whatever you are used to in your country. –  Albertus Jun 13 '12 at 9:44

It's "consejo escolar" in Spain.

I believe an alternative translation could be: "junta escolar"

I think this probably varies regionally, but here in Argentina a school board would be a "junta coordinadora", generally called simply "coordinadora".

"Junta" translates as "board"; the chairman of a "junta" is usually called "secretario". Not sure about schools, though.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.