Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is an idiom that is popular (and old) in English that states "everything but the kitchen sink". This is a phrase that means "everything that could be conceived".

Som examples:

• "I realized that there is a request to add everything but the kitchen sink to Mozilla." (link)

• "We’re watching four storms right now bringing another day of “everything but the kitchen sink” weather!" (link)

• "Goldtone cuff bracelet adorned with everything but the kitchen sink." (link)

This is similar to "the whole enchilada". That phrase, by comparison, means "absolutely everything".

• "I’ve got the whole enchilada going on: an ethnic necklace, a long beaded necklace, long feather earrings, thin woven bracelets and a wooden ring." (link)

• "Today, our challenge is to make a few 3x3 cards, matching envelopes and a cute box to store them in....in other words, the whole enchilada!" (link)

What would a good translation of these phrases be? Are there idioms in Spanish that compare to this?

share|improve this question
In Mexico when you order food "with the lot" or "with everything" it seems to always be called a "cubano". –  hippietrail Nov 16 '11 at 19:51
Another one in English could be "the whole kit and caboodle". –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 9:30

I think for this to become a great question you should really include some few examples with contexts. –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 9:31

@hippietrail I know far too many people who think that the phrase is "the kitten caboodle". ;) –  Richard Nov 17 '11 at 15:06

I had to check the spelling, I was going to go with "kaboodle" but it turns out to have a long and interesting history that I forced myself not to read (-: –  hippietrail Nov 17 '11 at 15:11
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is a Spanish idiom used when somebody takes many things with you in your luggage, probably more than what he really needs:

irse con la casa a cuestas

So a sentence like "He took everything but the kitchen sink" could be translated as "se fue con la casa a cuestas".

In the case of "The whole enchilada" I can't remmember any similar idiom in Spanish with the same idiom. The natural way of saying that would be saying "con todo" as Randolf Rincón-Fadul has said. In Spain we can say

quedarse con todo el pastel

but this expression means to get all the possible benefits from a situation, and it is usually used in a negative way to complain about a controversial operation.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Context translation of your phrases:

Absolutamente todo.

If you mean about some food it's common to just say:

Con todo

For example if you want your hamburger with all the ingredients you say:

Una hamburguesa con todo

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.