Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

English has an idiom: "Slow and steady wins the race." It is used to describe situations where slow, steady progress towards a goal is better than a rushed attempt to achieve things all at once (and I believe it comes from the fable of The Tortoise and the Hare). Is there an equivalent idiom in Spanish?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Here goes a bunch:

"Vísteme despacio, que tengo prisa" (quote from Ferdinand VII)

Something like: Dress me slowly, for I am in a hurry.

"Las prisas son malas consejeras"

Something like: Hurries are bad advisers.

"Sin prisa pero sin pausa"

Slowly but steadily

"Quien va piano va lontano"

(this sounds pretty Italian-borrowed to me, but it means Who goes slowly goes/gets far)

"Poco a poco, hila la vieja el copo".

Little by little the old lady spins the woll yarn (related to spinning a yarn; more information in Wikipedia)

Probably the closest one to the idiom you mention is this one (also based on the Aesop fable):

"Conejo rapido no llega lejos. Tortuga llega segura."

The fast rabbit doesn't reach far. The turtle arrives safe. Although I must say that I have never heard this in Spain.

share|improve this answer
In Mexico is very common "Lento pero seguro" - "Slowly but surely". –  Sergio Romero May 8 '12 at 14:36
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.