English has an idiom: "Slow and steady wins the race." It is used to describe situations where slow, steady progress towards a goal is better than a rushed attempt to achieve things all at once (and I believe it comes from the fable of The Tortoise and the Hare). Is there an equivalent idiom in Spanish?

5 Answers 5

Here goes a bunch:

"Vísteme despacio, que tengo prisa" (quote from Ferdinand VII)

Something like: Dress me slowly, for I am in a hurry.

"Las prisas son malas consejeras"

Something like: Hurries are bad advisers.

"Sin prisa pero sin pausa"

Slowly but steadily

"Quien va piano va lontano"

(this sounds pretty Italian-borrowed to me, but it means Who goes slowly goes/gets far)

"Poco a poco, hila la vieja el copo".

Little by little the old lady spins the woll yarn (related to spinning a yarn; more information in Wikipedia)

Probably the closest one to the idiom you mention is this one (also based on the Aesop fable):

"Conejo rapido no llega lejos. Tortuga llega segura."

The fast rabbit doesn't reach far. The turtle arrives safe. Although I must say that I have never heard this in Spain.

In Mexico is very common "Lento pero seguro" - "Slowly but surely". May 8, 2012 at 14:36
    That one is Italian, indeed. The original is piano, piano si va lontano. The one @SergioRomero mentions in his comment is also used in Spain, I've heard it quite a few times.
    – Gorpik
    Nov 18, 2014 at 9:39
  • Quien va piano va lontano is Italian not Spanish. The majority of the others I have never heard them myself. Lento pero seguro is the best choice at least in Spain. Nov 18, 2014 at 20:34
  • The one I heard was, "poco a poco se llega lejos". That's almost like one of the ones you posted. Nov 18, 2014 at 21:13
  • I think that "sin prisa pero sin pausa" is in fact said inversely: "sin pausa pero sin prisa", but with exactly the same meaning.
    – Roberto
    Nov 20, 2014 at 7:11

Lento pero seguro conveys a very similar meaning to Slow and steady wins the race. because it is used to express that slowness is a good thing and gets you to your targets.

Example:

- estas tardando mucho, ¿no?
- yo voy lento pero seguro

That is widely accepted and recognized (at least in Spain).

Another mexican one:

Más vale paso que dure que trote que canse.

Loosely translated to

A pace that lasts is better than a trot that tires.

Esta merece ser la respuesta aceptada, por lejos. Las otras son mucho más de manual y mucho menos creativas
    – tac
    Oct 1, 2023 at 14:34

In Chile is very common the expression

despacito por las piedras.

It is an evolution of the phrase

Irse despacio por las piedras [go slowly through the stones]

but usually the verb is omitted and the diminutive "despacito" is used instead "despacio".

For example, this dialog:

-Me gusta mucho esa mina. [I like that girl]

-¡Qué bien! Pero despacito por las piedras... [Well, but take it slow]

I've heard it as

Despacio con calma gana la carrera. (Slow with calmness wins the race)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.