Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I tell people when my wife's due date is? I usually say something like "el bebé se debe nacer el cuatro de junio" but I don't know if that's the correct way to say it.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Almost, but "nacer" is not reflexive, so it's:

El bebé debe nacer el cuatro de junio.

Also people use "esperar" (expect):

Lo esperamos (el bebé) para el cuatro de junio.

EDIT: As Laura says, another way is:

Mi mujer sale de cuentas el cuatro de junio.

share|improve this answer
Also "mi esposa sale de cuentas el 4 de junio" –  Laura Apr 29 '12 at 13:30

@Laura I completely forgot about that :) –  JoulSauron Apr 29 '12 at 17:22

Just to add some cultural context. In Mexico is very common that people say "Mi esposa se alivia el cuatro de junio." "Aliviarse" means "to get well" as in getting well from an illness. That being said is extremely common but, personally, I think that is very wrong because being pregnant is not an illness. –  Sergio Romero May 2 '12 at 19:23
@Rachel good question, it's referred to the child. If it's a girl and it's already known by the parents, then it is said "la esperamos". However, usually people think of "el bebé" (the baby) regardless being a boy or a girl, so it's more common "lo esperamos". –  JoulSauron May 9 '12 at 7:08
@JoulSauron qué tal: "Mi esposa da a luz el 20 de Junio"? o "Mi esposa da a luz dentro de dos semanas"? No entiendo por qué dices que sólo se utiliza cuando ya ha nacido el bebé. –  Icarus Jun 9 '12 at 0:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.