Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just listening Manu Chao's marvelous song, "Me Quedo Contigo" The question is - sometimes (not only in this song) it's sounds like last S in some words (ideas, ellas, siglos, ojos, labios etc.) is muted.

Is it a dialect or something? How widely this pronunciation is accepted?

share|improve this question
I notice this often when people say "Buenas noches" and it sounds like "Buena noches." –  Flimzy Apr 26 '12 at 3:07
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It's dialectal, but very widespread. In many parts of Southern Spain and South America it's common to omit the last "s". It's never correct in standard Spanish.

share|improve this answer

Oh, I see. Once again it turns out that reality is more complicated than it described in tutorials ) thank you! –  shabunc Apr 25 '12 at 19:30
In Mexico is not common to do it. –  Alfredo Osorio Apr 25 '12 at 20:20
It is common in Puerto Rico & Dominican Republic. Also, this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… –  Garrigus Carraig Apr 26 '12 at 0:11

I also heard this a lot in Venezuela. –  Rachel May 2 '12 at 3:46
When they drop the -s, this changes the preceding vowel, “opening” it up a bit. –  tchrist May 14 '12 at 4:01
add comment

Caribbean countries barely pronounce the ending S at all, Colombians, Cubans, Puerto Ricans.

Manu Chao is quite a case. Since he (or mano negra / Former band) sings in French, Spanish, Portuguese, English and even in a dialect used between France, Spain and Portugal, which I can't remember the name.

Grammatically speaking, when you write it THE S MUST GO, there are no exceptions.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.