Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

English

How can I translate the phrase "Es un placer haber sido de utilidad."? What ways sound most natural?

Thanks.

Español

Cómo puedo traducir la frase "Es un placer haber sido de utilidad."? ¿Cuál traducciones suenan mas naturales?

Gracias.

share|improve this question

Is there something specific about that phrase that you can't translate? What exactly is the difficulty? This is not a translation service, but of course you can ask about things you don't understand or really difficult translations :) –  Joze Mar 25 '12 at 18:42

@Joze Nothing special, just because "It's a pleasure to have been useful" sounds a little weird for me. –  user628 Mar 25 '12 at 18:46

I think it's fixed now. :-) –  Joze Mar 25 '12 at 19:09

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

A good natural sounding translation, that still keeps close to the original diction and wording, would probably be:

It's been a pleasure to be of assistance.

Other possibilities might include:

• I'm glad I could help.
  • I'm more than happy to have lent a hand.

On top of this, in formal situations, it also very common so say No, the pleasure is (all) mine.

Example:

Mary: Thank you for helping me find my keys, sir.

John: No, the pleasure is all mine.

share|improve this answer
In American English at least, "No, the pleasure is all mine" sounds very formal to me. I think "I'm glad I could help" would be the best informal alternative. –  jrdioko Mar 26 '12 at 16:48

@jrdioko I believe you're correct. Fixed. :) –  Miguel Mar 26 '12 at 16:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.