Take the 2-minute tour ×
Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Spanish language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the best Spanish translation for the English adjective "haunting" (as in "a haunting melody")? WordReference gives three options: evocador, inquietante and inolvidable. Do any of these really convey what the English word does (something enthralling, beautiful, somber/sad)? What are the differences between these three words?

share|improve this question
"Evocador" pretty much covers it, to be honest I have never heard someone refer to a melody like that (I'm from Mexico), we usually talk about what the melody evokes rather than of its evocative qualities. –  Chepech Mar 23 '12 at 18:36
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It would help a broader context of the sentence, but I guess "cautivadora" covers most of what "haunting" originally conveys, and it's common to hear the phrase "una melodía cautivadora" - "a haunting melody".

share|improve this answer
add comment

A possible of translation is obsesionante, whose nearest English equivalent would be obsessive

share|improve this answer

In what sense would a melody be obsessive? –  jrdioko Apr 5 '12 at 19:44

@jrdioko: If a melody "bothers" you day and night, it could be "obsessive," or at least "obsesionante." –  Tom Au Apr 5 '12 at 20:22
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.